Friday, December 28, 2007

Come here often?

I've been spending some quality time with Carrie Bradshaw and the girls. Some people might not agree, but I swear that show was significant in helping a new generation of women to be comfortable talking about dating and sex openly. Of course it's fiction - I really hope we aren't actually sleeping around that much, and I don't care how expensive their shoes are, regular women can't "peak" with anyone and everyone. But how much worse would I feel without a single woman archetype to identify with? I appreciate receiving messages that a life-without-significant-other is more than just sad.

Today I had three different cute guys in my house. Of course, one was the furnace guy and the other two were delivering my new mattress. But I'm going to take what I can get. A little harmless flirtation is good for the soul. I'm not one for feeding anyone a pick-up line, but I'm realizing that it useful to have the skills to get the ball rolling somehow. During my bohemian European phase while studying abroad, "Hast du noch eine cigarette?" got me Germany's answer to Ricky Schroder. (Unfortunately, I quickly figured out the fatal flaw on that one... only meeting smokers.) I'm not going to try predict what men want to hear, but a few things have worked on me...
  1. "Nice haircut." Seriously. This totally got me last week at a show. It was specific and true. (I'm not bragging, it was a well crafted creation - thank you Bill.) And it indicated a certain level of sophistication. Whatever it was, he got the digits.
  2. Along the same lines... "Nice clutch." Any heterosexual guy who can use the term "clutch" appropriately deserved a second look.
  3. Pour my water for me, ask me "How is your tea?", or come up with other such displays of refined and thoughtful manners. Call me old fashioned. Or just appreciative of basic human thoughfulness.
  4. Let me happen to catch on to something soulful - like a glimpse in your sketchbook.
  5. Just make me laugh. If I'm even remotely attracted, I will most likely melt.
What not to do?! Talk to my friend first, find out she is married, then turn to put your arm around me...

No comments: