Thursday, December 20, 2007

High Five the First Date

Once upon a time, I had coffee with an ironman triathlete who I met online. This particular ironman was attractive, extremely intelligent, former army ranger, EMT/ER nurse, masters in Psychology just for the fun of it... very interesting albeit intense guy.

We had a lovely conversation about our common interest in outdoor activities, among other things. Apparently he has a talent for coming across emergencies in the back country, which he is obviously more than equipped to deal with. I may or may not have gotten overly excited by his story about using his therm-a-rest as a splint for a fractured ankle (come on, how MacGuyver is that?!), and I enthusiastically threw up my hand in the internationally recognized gesture, the “high five”. (In my defense, I was fresh off an outdoor education weekend with enthusiastic middle school girls who recognize the joyous and celebratory value of the high five like no one else.) Unfortunately, the Ironman seemed a little caught off-guard, but he hesitantly complied. The date went downhill from there, the energy somewhat drained by an obvious difference in ideas about social norms.

So I started to ask: was it unrealistic to expect someone who lives and works almost exclusively in the "adult" world to respond favorably to such a playful gesture? As I relayed this experience to people in my life I got a surprising range of responses. One of my best friends was horrified that I would act in such an undignified way. A few people agreed that most adults do not normally high five one another when they first meet - unless perhaps the social context involves sporting events or a naturally elevated level of playfulness (usually involving young children). Other people agreed with me; maybe I had just stumbled upon the perfect dating litmus test!

And the story doesn't then there... Not long after the now infamous high five occured, I relayed this amusing story to a few friends in my relatively exuberant way at my local climbing gym. Unbenownst to us, a women setting a route nearby overheard every word. Next time I walk in the gym, what do I find? My own personal memorial to this particular dating mishap, and some satisfying validation... a new route named "high five the first date" (a lovely 5.8, if you were wondering).

There you are. Words to live by. High five the first date. Dive in. Bring your whole unapologetic self to life. You only get one.

Disclaimer: I say this, and name my blog this, not because I think I know anything about it. (If you are looking for instruction on how to be held back by fear and play it safe, I am your girl.) But I know I am meant to try.

No comments: