Sunday, March 1, 2009

Eggs in One Basket

I met someone interesting. ("Facebook me" is the new "can I have your number", btw.)

Immediately the familiar old "did he like me?" and "what do I do now?!" neurosis set in. And I'm really tired of putting myself through all that. So my thought is, #1, chill out and try to enjoy the ride, lady. (Ha. Good luck with that.) And #2, why not disperse anxious energy by focusing on more than one person at a time? Put some eggs in other baskets, so to speak, hoping that wouldn't just multiply the angst, which is entirely possible.

Long story short, since there are currently no other eggs or baskets, I thought of going back online.

I signed back into match.com to at least take a look. I started halfheartedly reading profiles. I spruced and pruned my profile from over a year ago in case I actually decide to make it public again. I considered how to proceed. But I HATE it. It is so much work for so little return.

At first glance, everyone seems to be 5'4'' or 6'6''. And/or they are either a complete jerk or trying way too hard; I don't need to see you with your shirt off ten years ago or standing between hot cleavage twins. And we all pretty much have the same profile... have a good life but looking for someone to share it with, like to go hiking/camping, listen to music, eat sushi, travel, or just read/cuddle by the fire ("cuddle by the fire" is the new "long walks on the beach").

Why am I so cynical? I think that when I was online before, I was usually going through some sort of phase (triathlons, fly fishing, climbing, etc.) which made it exciting to look for that specific connection. But at the moment, I am comfortable with my own mediocrity in all of those activities and am looking for good old chemistry. Which is impossible to measure on a flat screen.

I'm considering it, but currently resistant to say the least. I think I just want to hang out with the one I already met. We'll see.

No comments: