Thursday, January 17, 2008

Addicted to Britney

hold New vice: celebrity gossip. I blame the ladies at school with US Weekly on the faculty lunch table for getting me started. It's always been one of those things I secretly am drawn to but am trying too hard to be above it to admit I enjoy it. Even to myself, much less anyone else. Like General Hospital. And teen TV dramas...

I have a newly embraced general interest in most celebrity goings on (except for a particular lack of interest in Jessica Alba), but I have a completely compulsive infatuation with the Britney Drama. I never really thought much about her before, but suddenly I can't get enough. Since the 5150 hold, I can't wait for the daily (always slightly-conflicting) online updates. Train Wreck. Paparazzi stalker becomes new best friend? Wearing her wedding dress? British accent? Who's to say that any of us wouldn't crack under that kind of constant scrutiny. But regardless, I am now one of those horrible people who are feeding the monster. I know this media concocted reality may be far from actual life, and I'm repulsed by my own voyeuristic impulses. But I can't stop...

Perhaps nostalgic for my own not-so-stable times? But come on. Even at my worst, I look sooooo well balanced. I am so desparate to feel normal by comparison? Or just boredom? Escapism. Waiting for life to start back up again. Lapse in after-school activities. Inappropriate men of the moment lost their luster. No others in my sites. Everyone has someone in mind for me; not that that ever goes anywhere. Except our librarian supposedly has a cute nephew...






3 comments:

LauraZ said...

Oh dear. Did you know that I now *subscribe* to US weekly? It's a dirty little vice, eh? I keep telling myself it's so that I can actually learn who people are... ;)

Unknown said...

glad to know i'm not the only one. a few sites for your reading pleasure....

trent.blogspot.com
perezhilton.com
thesuperficial.com

all have plenty of brittney coverage and other such stuff

honeybee said...

Oh I had the same weird fascination with "Rock of Love" with Brett Michels. I knew how sick it was at the time. Luckily I am now able to resist the temptation to watch "Rock of Love II." I am strangely proud of myself. I want to be like one of those people that come out of AA. "My name is Melissa and I haven't seen Brett for 2 months now," whimper whimper.