Saturday, February 9, 2008

Nina Luna Does Book Review

My librarian friend lent me a book that blew my mind! The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Intimidatingly thick at first grasp, but it's juvenile fiction and mostly illustrations.

I was sceptical, but quickly won over. So stylized. And the form fits the function and story beautifully. Going between words and pictures seamlessly, both moving the story forward in their own distinct but symbiotic way. Very specific, intriguing historical subject area. Just dark enough to create tension and longing. And just the right amount of sentimental - appealing to the little part in all of is that is lost. And just enough magic.

It's a picture book and a novel fused into one. Familiar form, but new potential. It made me look at something that I take for granted completely differently. I love it when that happens.

No comments: